Founded in 1975, Microsoft (NASDAQ “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software for personal and business computing. The company offers a wide range of products and services designed to empower people through great software – any time, any place and on any device. Microsoft Corporation (India) Pvt Ltd. Ltd is a subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation, USA. It has had a presence in India since 1990 and currently has offices in nine cities – Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kochi, Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi and Pune.
First wave of 14 MICs announced, with over 100 centers to be launchedover the next two years to drive employability, innovation, and entrepreneurship
Hyderabad, February 12, 2013 – MicrosoftCorporation (India) Pvt. Ltd. today announced the launch of 14 Microsoft Innovation Centers (MICs) in India, signing MoUs with leading academic institutions across four states. As part of the worldwide program, that currently has 75 MICs, Microsoft aims to launch a total of 100 MICs in India in the next two years. These MICs will impact over 500,000 students, certifying 100,000 students on Microsoft technologies. The program will also drive innovation and help build a product-based software economy by supporting product development, and over 500 start-ups.
The MICs will act as innovation hubs at select colleges and technology institutes, providing incubation and expert hands-on support on Microsoft technology innovation, research, and software solutions, aiming to create a pool of student technology experts across India.
Each MIC will function as a hub for five other neighboring colleges and will operate in a hub-spoke model drivingemployability, innovation, and entrepreneurship in the academic ecosystem around it. The 14 cities that will host the first MICs, openingthis week will be Hyderabad, Vijayawada, Rajahmundry, Khammam, Bapatla, Guntur and Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh, Raipur in Chhattisgarh, Cuttack in Orissa, Trichy, Vellore, Coimbatore, Madurai and Salem in Tamil Nadu.
Commenting on the launch of MICs in India, Joseph Landes, General Manager, DPE, Microsof t India, said, “The Microsoft Innovation Centers are designed to offer a unique environment conducive for student entrepreneurship. As knowledge and innovation become primary catalysts for economic growth in India, the Microsoft Innovation Centers can play a vital role in generating powerful new ideas through training, education and knowledge transfer.
The MIC program will act as the key driver of Microsoft’s vision for developing new talent in India at the student level. Budding developers will be encouraged to innovate across keypriority technology focus areas that are driving growth and change for the economy, namely: Mobility (Windows Phone), Cloud (Windows Azure), Kinect, Accessibility, Healthcare and a wider ambit for solving problems with an India focus.
Expressing his vision for MICs at his institution, Dr. P. Rajeshwar Reddy, Chairman, Anurag Group of Institutions (AGI), Hyderabad, said, “Innovation is an intrinsic part of the philosophy we live here at AGI, which was established with the aim of providing quality higher education on par with international standards. Our students have been actively involved in the Imagine Cup – another great program from Microsoft that fosters innovation among students to address key global challenges. Being a part of the first group of the Microsoft Innovation Center (MICs) in India, we see AGI becoming a center for applied technology solutions, digital literacy and a creator of socio-economic change in the community and the economy. The technology areas that we will focus on include Cloud, Mobile, and other core technologies, will allow us to provide a holistic skill roadmap for all our students, whether they want to pursue a career in technology, academics or business.
The MIC announcement comes days after the India launch of Microsoft’s new global philanthropy initiative, YouthSpark – aimed at addressing the opportunity divide faced by the young people of the world.In particular,MICs will play a crucial role in deepening the relationship between academia and industry, enhancing at a very basic level, employability and education, reducing the digital divide, support for innovation and driving sustainable socio-economic impact.
Various Activities under MIC
WINDOWS PHONE 7 APP DEVOLOPMENT:
- A three weeks training program on “Windows Phone 7 Application Development” from 2/1/2012 to 24/1/2012 conducted under “Microsoft i-Spark Centre ” for the students of B.Tech II and III year CSE and IT so as to deploy applications in Microsoft app store and get certified
- No of students attended the program is 220
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone
- Windows Phone Emulator
- Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Assemblies
I UNLOCK JOY Competition:
- By submitting 374 Mobile Applications our students won the National wide “I UNLOCK JOY” competition conducted by Microsoft.
- 23 students won WINDOWS HTC MOBILE PHONE in “I UNLOCK JOY” competition conducted by Microsoft
I UNLOCK JOY – 1 WINDOWS PHONE WINNERS LIST
Students received Windows HTC phones with their own apps in I Unlock Joy competition.
Students published their apps on the windows Phone Market place
WINDOWS 8 APP DEVOLOPMENT PROGRAM:
A one week training program was conducted for III and IV year CSE and IT students during 10th to 15th September 2012.
- 160 students attended the Windows 8 App development program.
- 120 apps deployed in app store in which 61 apps got certified
WINDOWS 8 APP FEST:
The longest ever 18 hour coding marathon, a “windows-8 code marathon appfest 2012” by Microsoft India, 21st and 22nd Sept 2012 at “White fields”, Bangalore
students who took part in this training were a part of windows8 marathon “appfest 2012” conducted by Microsoft during 21st and 22nd sept’ 2012 at Bangalore and got certified as part of “Guinness book of world records”
AGI’ans STUDENTS WITH CORPORATE O’NEIL, VICE PRESIDENT, MICROSOFT
I Unlock Joy –II Competition:
- 7 Students received free mobile phones (SAMSUNG FLASH-S3) for the I UNLOCK JOY – II competition
- More than 5 Students got gift vouchers of worth rupees in between INR. 19000 – 33500 from Microsoft on flip cart for the I UNLOCK JOY competition
Students of Anurag Group of Institutions attended“Imagine cup 2013 National Finals award Ceremony”
Imagine Cup is an annual competition sponsored and hosted by Microsoft Corp. which brings together young technologists worldwide to help resolve some of the world’s toughest challenges. All Imagine Cup competitors create projects that address the Imagine Cup theme: “Imagine a world where technology helps solve the toughest problems”. Started in 2003, it has steadily grown in size, with more than 358,000 competitors representing 183 countries and regions in 2011. The Imagine Cup Worldwide finals have been held all over the globe.
There are the 10 finalists that made it to the annual competition conducted by Microsoft to identify and promote entrepreneurship. The winning team would represent in India at the global finals scheduled to be held at St Petersburg in Russia. The winners will be given mentorship to hone their app at the global event
- The students of Anurag Group of Institutions attended the prestigious Microsoft’s “Imagine cup 2013 National Finals award ceremony” on 10/04/2013 held at The Park, Hyderabad.
- As part of “Microsoft Innovation Center” students from Dept.of Computer Science and Engineering of Anurag Group of Institutions attended and got inspired to develop the innovative apps
- Team Path Finders from MRCE, Faridabad, has won the Imagine Cup 2013 for their project “Swasthya Sanjivani” that provides affordable, quick and atomized healthcare services to people in remote areas.
- They are among the 10 finalists that made it to the annual competition conducted by Microsoft to identify and promote entrepreneurship. The winning team would represent in India at the global finals scheduled to be held at St Petersburg in Russia. The winners will be given mentorship to hone their app at the global event.
- Mr. Joseph Landes, Manager Microsoft has interacted with studenst of Anurag Group of Institututions. Students explained about their achievements to Mr. Joseph Landes.
- Students of II year got knowledge of Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 features explained by Microsoft Engineers.